Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 15 - demolition versus building

I got home quite late last night and the renovations had moved on HEAPS. When I spoke to my builder about it he pointed out that it had moved on even more the day before but then putting up walls and fences is always going to look more impressive than ripping them out.

I've got my 'novelty buzz' back on and it's making it exciting again. I also did a Very Brave Thing and actually made a spreadsheet of what I think the additional costs are going to be outside of his quote. He's also doing this. I had a look and I think I might just squeak through on budget. Just. And that's a revised budget to be fair. And only because my builder is a super hero and has got me cash work wherever possible, pitched tradesmen against each other to get them to undercut the competition and talked me out of some very expensive options. There will be no horizontal stripes in the hall for example. But I can always do that later.

And speaking of getting stuck in, that's exactly what Pinot had done to the sheets of foam insulation left by the builder.

I think Pinot has an eating disorder. She used to be a big binge and purger but that's stopped since we moved to the new house and her latest thing is eating packing foam. You know the stuff that cradles appliances in their boxes or fits under your floor to stop your tootsies from getting cold. That stuff. and when you move house, buy new things and are getting underfloor insulation there's plenty of it around. I think it fills her up so she doesn't have to eat cat food. Yuck. Anyway there was a whole sheet (about two metres by one metre and five cm thick) that she's pretty much shredded creating a snowstorm in the laundry and a full little tummy of toxins for her. Mentalist.

I'll try to get some photos on Facebook of the advances tonight but I have to also pack up my room. I'm going to be sleeping in the lounge for a few nights. Bye bye electric blanket. This is going to be tough.

No comments: