Tuesday, November 08, 2011

A whistlestop tour

In case anything in the last two posts suggested otherwise, I want to be really clear. I am LOVING India. I'm covered in flea and mosquito bites, I'm sunburnt, I've been sick, last night I narrowly avoided snuggling up to sleep with a leech and a mouse just ran over my foot. And I am as happy as a pig in shit (and I've seen heaps of them here too).

So in no particular order below are some of the highlights that have made this trip incredible so far.

1. Arriving in New Delhi and instantly loving it. I'm not going to lie, I was worried that I'd find India a bridge too far and overwhelming. Not the case. Hurray for that.
2. Getting to spend lots of quality time with old, old, old buildings. I miss old buildings. A Lot. I've had enough of a top up to keep me going for a few years now. The Taj was an expected highlight but the Amber Fort in Jaipur was also incredible and the temple complex at Khajuraho was gob smacking (and not just the dirty bits).
3. The friendly, charming, funny people we've met. I'd definitely say we've met more in the South than we did in the North but generally, people outside the tourist industry everywhere have been smiley, chatty and fascinated by our lives. Special shout out to Salim who made our 6 hour trip to Munnar hoon by by asking a million questions and telling me all about his life.
4. Two days on a backwater boat in Kerala. Possibly the most relaxing thing I've ever done in my life; and after the madness of Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Varanassi it was perfectly timed.
5. I'm not going to bang on about the food again. It's incredible. Especially if you're vegetarian. The end.
6. How cheap it is to travel here. You can see amazing things, eat well, sleep comfortably and travel in style on a very small amount of money compared to most other countries.
7. Driving around tea plantations and waterfalls today with a chatty, helpful driver who pulled out all stops to help us get the next bit of the journey sorted.
8. Getting to travel with me auld mate Kez. Can't believe it's taken us decades to do this!

No comments: