Monday, July 02, 2007

It never rains but it pours

I'm a toastmasters right? I've mentioned that here before. I do a leetle bit of public speaking. In my own time. For my own development, peace of mind etc.

Sometimes I do have to use it at work. Or I use elements of the shit sandwich to couch feedback. But it's not like it's a lifestyle choice or anything. It's just a now and again kind of thing.

Well.

Last week I got invited to speak at a conference. I should qualify this immediately by saying that they seem to have just emailed every single comms person in New Zealand. I would not like to give the impression that I was head hunted or specifically sought after as this would be blatantly misleading.

So anyway, I accepted. I'll be giving a 45 minute presentation on internal communications during change with five mins Q&A at the end. Ha. Hilarious don't you think. In a kind of , "What the FUCK was I thinking kind of way." And then I got the agenda and saw who my co-presenters are. Oh I see. I won't go into it, but these would be well known industry types.

Today the secretary at my Toastmasters club asked me if I'd be keen to be involved in a Toastmasters fundraiser. Every year there are competitions and the NZ champ goes to the States to compete in the worlds. As TM is a not for profit, they hold fundraisers to raise money for the airfare, accommodation etc.

Sure, I'll be involved.

And then he sent me through the agenda for the event:

Robin Grieve Current NZ Champion
David Nottage 1996 World Champion
Brett Rutledge 1998 World Champion
Ivan Pivac Blind speaker on Hitchhiking and motivational speaker Kevin Prohl Four times NZ Toastmaster of the Year MC and speaker
Kathy Torpie Inspirational speaker
Clinton Jones Humorous speaker/motivational speaker
Lorraine Breheny Humorous speaker

Apparently I will be delivering a seven minute 'humorous' speech followed by and IMPROMPTU session with David, Brett, Robin and Kevin.

Hahahahahahahahahaha (to be read in a high-pitched, bordering on the hysterical tone).

Fuck.

1 comment:

Shazzle said...

You ROCK!