Thursday, January 11, 2007

Packing

I'm going back to NZ tomorrow. And so what I should be doing is packing. what I am doing is sorting through a bag of papers that my mam wants me to take with me or throw away for chrissakes.

Oh. My. God.

There is the usual dreadful diary shit that I will have to take with me as we don't have a shredder and there's no way I'm just throwing it away. Embarassing.

There are hundreds of letters written to me in Donegal, Cork, America, Dublin from friends family, boyfriends. Including one of the most beautiful love letters from a guy I knew for a total of two weeks in Wisconsin. Some I am keeping, some I am binning, some I am keeping but know I will never have the courage to read.

There are dozens of poems written by friends. Some are hilarious and some are very, very good.

There is a Valentine Card 'to my wife, Lorraine' signed from 'Mr Pitt'.

There is a letter from Kerry that I CANNOT WAIT TO READ TO EVERYONE WHO KNOWS HER.

I have also found two and a half episodes of a radio play that I worked on with seven other people. Five episodes actually went to air before we got cut for being generally unreliable. I was originally supposed to be one of the actresses but muscled into the writing team eventually and ended up doing a bit of directing too.

It was based on six students sharing two flats on campus at University College Dublin. Sort of Friends, only on the radio and with Irish accents, limited sex and no money. The writing teams worked in two teams of four and I can't remember who wrote which of the spisodes but the half episode is the worst.

However, it has handwritten notes at the end that made me choke with laughter and nostalgia for the sheer clever pretentiousness of it all.

The scene is fairly typical. Fresher student (dave) tries his hand at some clever debating at the immensly popular and well attended debating society friday night event. He is lucky to escape with his life. His dignity is another matter. The girl (emer) who fancies him is trying to comfort him and he lashes out at her and stalks off. Fade to next scene (the handwritten bit)

The handwritten notes are clearly intended to take the piss out of the simplistic nature of the scenario by doing a pastiche of Sam Beckett's Happy Days/ Waiting for Godot

Notes in handwriting unknown:

A scream. Pause (five seconds)

Fade to Emer buried up to her neck in rubbish. Parasol goes on fire reflecting the essential meaninglessness of existance

My handwriting:

(alternatively we could just fade to Emer snogging Dave)

Back to unknown handwriting:

Emer: Argh! (pause five seconds) My parasol (pause three seconds) is on ... fire (pause) reflecting the essentail .... meaninglessness... of existance.

Fade to country lane. Enter Pozzo and Lucky on hands and knees.

Pozzo: so... where's the debate

Seriously. We were subsidised to be at university for fukes sakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Breheny is coming home (well coming back to Orklund, un zud, anyway). A couple of small notes to bring you up to speed with what happened in this fine country since you've been gone:

- We haven't had sunshine for a week. In fact the weather conditions are likely to be similar in dampness to Ireland, but nice humid and sticky (99% humidity yesterday). What a combo

- There is no news on a national front worth broadcasting apparently. This is substantiated by National Radio who have taken to playing a list of the worst songs ever produced (I know we never really have any decent news - oh except if you want to count that amazing story about the goose shit overload down country, which stormed the evening news. Now that's news!)

- Nothing has changed at work. Our place of business still exists. I'm not sure what I expected upon returning from holiday but clearly the sight of the very solid big yellow building was a disapointment. It confirmed that "yes, I have to go back and work".

- Jah has turned into a barrel. Not literally but her appearance is very barrel like. I wonder if its considered cruelty to animals for a dog to be so fat?

- We have made little to no progress on our wedding plans.

Travel safe little one. We miss you.
x Us, the Muriwaian mansion dwellers.