Thursday, February 01, 2007

Pinot the wonder cat

My younger cat, Pinot, really is a very talented creature. She fetches you see. You throw something small and preferably chewable and she brings it back for you to do it again. Rubber things are popular, those plastic wrapped tie things that you get to keep chords on electrical equipment tidy are a fave, plastic covers from magazines scrunched up into a ball are also good.

Sometimes she decides she'd like to play this game while I am engaged in other activities. For example sleeping. So she does this thing where she wakes me up 'accidentally', by dropping the fetching object in my ear or betwen me and the duvet and then stand on my chest and uses her paw with almost unveiled claws to retrieve it. Endearing? No. No it's not.

Anyway sometimes it's easier to just play for a bit. But the other night I felt something drop by my back and decided against it. I could hear Pinot purring her head off and she even came and sat on my chest to see if that might rouse me. I wasn't having it.

And when I woke up properly the following morning, the object that Pinot had dropped right next to me in my bed was... a dead, baby bird.

No comments: